Gemstones have been enriching the world of many jewelry lovers for several decades now. Be it a precious gemstone or a semi-precious gemstone, the beauty and powers that these stones carry make them all absolutely wonderful. But how do you classify which gemstone falls in which category? Let’s find that out!
How are gemstones classified?
If you wish to buy precious gemstone online in the USA or if you want to explore the world of gems and need some understanding as to how they are classified, then this information will help you for sure.
As per Vedic astrology, there are several gems that can change the life of the wearer for the better. However, not all gemstones are suitable for everyone. Based on a person’s horoscope, one can find out which all gemstones would be favorable to them and which won’t be.
Now, let’s take a look at each of these categories of stones.
Precious gemstones are the ones that come at a high price and are usually rare. Listed below are precious gemstones that are available in this day and age:
- Diamond – A highly durable gemstone that comes with a hardness of 10 on the Mohs scale of hardness, diamond is definitely one of the most loved precious gemstones that exist today. Made up of carbon in a crystalline formation, this stone is usually colorless. However, one can get diamonds in a variety of colors. So, depending upon your preference, you can get this stunning precious stone in many colors.
- Emerald – The gorgeous green colored Emerald gemstone is a favorite of many celebrities across the world. And why not? After all, it is loaded with umpteen beauty and several interesting properties that make this gem a must-have for more than one reason! Coming from the beryl family, this stone gets its green color from trace chromium and at times from vanadium as well. The stone’s hardness lies between 7.5 and 8.0 on the Moh’s scale of hardness.
- Ruby – Ruby is another precious stone which is highly sought-after in the world of gemstones. This red-colored gem comes in different shades. However, the deep red ruby stone is one of the most preferred shades of this gem. Composed of the mineral corundum, the stone carries a hardness of 9 on the Moh’s scale of hardness and lasts for a long time.
- Sapphire – Sapphire is also a variety of corundum and comes in different beautiful colors. From the brilliant blue sapphire to yellow, green and even pink – the color options to purchase a sapphire are many. This precious gemstone has a rank of 9 on the Moh’s scale.
Now that you have understood what all stones fall into the category of precious stones let’s have a look at some common semi-precious stones.
- Black Onyx – A variety of the micro crystalline quartz, Black Onyx is a lovely semi-precious stone that is also the 10th wedding anniversary gemstone. The hardness of this stone lies between 6.5 and 7 on the Moh’s scale of hardness.
- Blue Topaz – If you are a fan of the color blue, then you will be glad to buy the beautiful Blue Topaz that comes in different hues of vivid blue. Being a silicate mineral that consists of aluminum and fluorine, blue topaz is a hard gemstone that has a rank of 8 on the Moh’s scale of hardness.
- Moonstone – A variety of the feldspar-group mineral orthoclase, Moonstone is known for its stunning adularescence effect. This lustrous mineral has a rank of 6 to 6.5 on the Moh’s scale of hardness.
- Opal – A glass-like form of silica which is chemically similar to quartz, Opal is a wonderful gem that has a hardness of 5.5 to 6.5 on the Moh’s scale of hardness.
- Pearl – Known to bring harmony and prosperity in the life of the wearer, the graceful pearl gemstone is created within the soft tissue of a shelled mollusk. Even though the stone is highly popular amongst jewelry lovers, it is not much durable. It’s hardness ranges between 2.5 and 4.5 on the Moh’s scale of hardness.
So, what are you waiting for? Get natural precious and semi-precious gemstones from 9Gem.us online and make the most of their attractive looks!